Welcome to IEEE's Region 5 Annual Conference 2016 (Competition Submission)
Sponsored by IEEE Region 5, IEEE Kansas City Section, and IEEE Standards Education Committee.
IEEE Region 5 is pleased to announce the 2nd annual Standards Development Competitions: The Standards of Tomorrow. Knowledge of standards helps facilitate the transition from classroom to workplace by aligning educational concepts with real-world applications and market constraints.
The goal of the competition is:
- To give an opportunity for IEEE Region 5 members to learn more about IEEE standards.
- To encourage IEEE members to submit written work and have it judged by a professional committee.
- To increase awareness of the IEEE Standards Education Committee(SEC).
The expected outcomes for this new completion are:
- Develop a product or standard that could benefit humanity.
- Raise awareness of the importance of standards.
- Develop communications skills to build and maintain a productive relationship with team members and within external entities (e.g. professors, industry).
- Technical skills to develop a possible future standard.
- Knowledge to solve problems, develop projects, and seize opportunities whenever they might be found.
- Entrepreneurial skills.
- Create the base for a Project Authorization Request (PAR) to be submitted to the Standards Association.
- Topic chosen (20%) – What impact could the idea chosen have on the industry selected?
- Professional writing (20%) – Including readability, references, figures, tables, language clarity, formatting.
- Innovation (20%) – – Impact of standards in innovation in that industry?
- Insight conveyed (20%) – What makes these standards important to this industry?
- Clarity of claims (20%) – Substantiated and analytical conclusion of the impact of standards.
December 18, 2015: Competition opens.
March 18, 2016: Submission deadline.
Winners will be awarded cash prizes. Dollar amounts will be announced closer to the competition. Winners will be announced at the IEEE Region 5 Annual Awards Banquet on Saturday, April 9th, 2016. Participants must not be present to be winners, but are highly encouraged to attend.
Questions / Concerns?
For other questions concerning this contest, please contact the Contest Chair, Jeffry Handal, at email@example.com.